Prefects play an important role in helping with the smooth running of the school. There are many opportunities to develop personal skills and qualities, including leadership, responsibility, sense of service and trust.
The Responsibilities and Privileges of School Prefects
- To act as role models to all other pupils in terms of attitude, behaviour, uniform, punctuality and attendance.
- To represent all at St. Ignatius of Loyola High School in promoting the good name of the school in and around the school and in the community.
- To encourage others in the School community to benefit from the educational opportunities offered by the School
- Play a key role on public occasions such as Grade 8 day.
- Take prospective pupils and parents on tours of the School.
- Be open and honest and show a sense of responsibility.
- Carry out willingly and effectively the duties and tasks requested of them by members of staff.
- Be fully committed to their academic work and extra-curricular activities.
- Recognize that there are situations where discretion is required and issues of confidentiality need to be respected
- Act as a role model both in school and in the community
Who are the prefects?
Any senior student who likes working with and talking to younger students, who feels comfortable engaging with adults and is able to build positive working relationships with staff can be a prefect. Prospective prefects should want to make a lasting impact at school and be involved in decision making that will allow him/her to be a leader.
What is a prefect captain?
A prefect captain is a prefect who is responsible for communicating information and duties to the members of his/her team. Captains apply in writing and are selected by the staff.